Saturday 7 April 2012

River finds

It was a couple years ago when a friend introduced me to searching for petrified wood.
 I'd already found several good leaf and fern fossils in the Grande Cache area and was a bit of a rock hound.


 Petrified wood along the Pembina River. Qualitites and quantities were impressive. I must have carried at least five loads in my backpack the 1.6 kms from the river bed, at about 80 pounds a trip. I finally realized that with a quad and some good friends we could actually get more.

It wasn't until last spring that one of my friends suggested we try looking for ammonite fossils along the Smoky River. Dangling that carrot was the start of an adventure that finds me eagerly awaiting river conditions to allow us once again to scramble, rock pick in hand along some river bank.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this blog is a great idea! Looking forward to a lot more posts as soon as the rivers are down.

    ReplyDelete